Canadian Holidays in 2017 - Viewing All Comments

Send in your comments, tips and ideas about holidays in Canada for 2017

Comments
Posted by Parkpass:

The free pass is only for federal park not for provincial parks. Just wanted to clarify. Cheers.

Posted by Greg M:

If a holiday falls on a Saturday then office employees should get the Monday off. I know that in Ontario both Monday & Tuesday are stat holidays if Christmas and Boxing Day both fall on the weekend.

What happens when a holiday falls on a Saturday? Do companies give the Friday off?

I just want you to know that Canada is a "Christian or Catholic" from its inception. So, if you came here lately, don't change whatever the "Canadians" do... "If you are in Canada, do what the Canadian do."

Posted by Shirley:

Would it be possible to synchronize Family Day in BC with the rest of Canada. Much better for coordination of business, family holidays, etc.

If someone wants to take Eid off as a personal "religious" holiday then do so and forfeit another "religious" holiday like Christmas.... Most collective agreements allow for a member to have such a day off, but there should be some give and take... it can't always be a one way exchange there has to be some give and take. I've worked emergency services for over 38 years and had to work many Xmas while others were able to enjoy them with family and loved ones. Its part of the job and if you move to a country that doesn't share your views.... too bad...you can always go somewhere else...

Posted by Greg:

Victoria Day is a holiday in Newfoundland...we just call it May 24th weekend (or May two four), and go camping in the snow. I have set up a tent on a nice day, and woke up with it covered in snow...but we're all still drunk and/or hung over, so we don't mind.

Tuesday, January 2nd, 2017 is an observed holiday in Canada, no?

Are we going to have a day off on Jan 2 since the New Year Day is on Sunday the coming year.

Further to EID, this country is likely amongst the most tolerant and respectful of other cultures and has demonstrated it time and again but as mentioned it was founded on Judeo-Christian beliefs. If the nature of those beliefs includes tolerance and acceptance, it is certainly not intended to do so at the detriment of those beliefs. Openness to respecting and celebrating multiple cultures is not intended to be interpreted as altering our Judeo-Christian fundamentals. Other religions are welcome here to practice and observe as they choose but to interpret this as acquiescence of our fundamentals is to alter these fundamentals and change the very nature of our country that so many find more inviting than their own. And as someone who has friends with numerous other religious beliefs, I find they are quite accepting and respectful of ours and not inclined to think we should transform our holiday observances. From my experience these issues are typically raised by either religious radicals or by overzealous "Christians" who cannot differentiate between accepting other beliefs and altering our own.

A truly multicultural democratic country, if you are interested, is Fiji Islands. They respect and celebrate all cultural occasions including EID and CHRISTMAS.

Posted by Cynthia:

Should a day in lieu for Remembrance Day (on a Saturday in 2017) be the Friday (Nov 10) so families can gather and prepare to attend the service on Nov 11? It's not a celebration that needs to continue until Monday.

Actually if you want to be technical about it Easter and Christmas were pagan holidays to begin with anyway.

Posted by Mrs. D. :

Will Canadian companies be giving their employees another day off in lieu of November 11 as it falls on a Saturday in 2017?

A comment regarding Eid. While I have the greatest respect for ALL cultural beliefs, I would have to say that recognizing Eid as a national statutory holiday is not appropriate within in a society founded on Judeo/ Christian values. May I also respectfully submit that if you feel so strongly in your convictions that you look into perhaps finding a Muslim country to live in. Surely there is one that is tolerant, and respectful to all it's citizens. One that holds equality between men and women, freedom, and acceptance of all beliefs at its core? Please post what find. Perhaps I will move there and ask for Christmas, and Easter to made into a nationally recognized religious holiday. And don't forget to pay your respects on Remembrance Day, after all those guys that we are remembering are the very reason we can even have this conversation.

I think we are losing sight of the real issue. There are only 2 holidays which are based on Christian holy days. That is actually Good Friday and Christmas day and as a Christian I have worked more holy days in my life working in healthcare than I have had actually off. One might think my duty is to my faith, but my duty is to ensure that those most vulnerable had the right care regardless of my faith. After all my faith would want me to do the right thing and not worry about observing a holy day which by the way you can observe your faith on any day. Remember nothing is a right it is a privilege and as long as we think it is our right then we will always feel discriminated against. And if you are a true believer, than you will know it is a privilege to serve those that need us regardless of a day on a calendar as there are way more holy days than there are holidays.

Posted by A very open minded Christan supporting other religions but not to the demands that go against the fa:

I love it that the guy posting Eid should be a stat.....because it's a "HOLLY" Holiday.....well sir....HOLLY is a plant and used significantly at CHRISTMAS. If you are celebrating a "HOLY" day, then you are not really celebrating it as a holiday....it is a period of religious reflection. As a Christian, I have a right to celebrate what I believe to be religious days however I please, but I do not have the right to tell anyone that I should, or should not have them as holidays that are enforced by a government and imposed upon those of another religion. The only reason they are actual holidays, is because Canada was founded on "Christian" values and expectations. It is no different that what might be celebrated in a country that was founded on the Muslim religion and values and I can guarantee you that while I MAY be allowed to practice my religion there (Doubtful) I would never be allowed to form any democratic practice that would allow me to go before a government of a Muslim country and demand a holiday for a Christian holiday. So while I am happy that Canada does allow you to practice your religion as we are a free and democratic country, please do not insult me, or yourself by saying it's your right to have it made into a holiday.

I celebrate Eid and I dont want Eid as a National Holidays. I do take this day off but from my personal vacation allowance. Realistically it does not make sense to have National holidays based on faith otherwise we would be having so many holidays without any connection with the masses.

I personally believe that if you want Eid as a stat holiday move to a country that observes it as such. If I, being a catholic, ever moved to another country that don't celebrate catholic holidays I would not think of celebrating catholic holidays as my "right". This is what happens when a country - in this case Canada - takes rights and equality to extreme levels to the point where expectations of its citizens become unrealistic. Dare anyone say this out loud and they will be labeled a racist. So I will leave this comment without adding my name so you can't label me as such. Even though I think this is not a matter of racism - it's a matter of being realistic and not abusing your privileges.

I personally believe that Eid which is celebrated by all Muslims should be stat holiday for those whom celebrate it. It is not fair that we have to work on that holly holiday that is to celebrate with all the loved ones and attent the Eid prayers. We respect other celebrations of different cultures so ours should be respected as well. I am a Canadian citizen so why don't I get my holly holiday off. I got the same right as any other religion.

be satisfied with what you have and stop your whining and complaining about days off that you don't have. If I was your boss you would have nothing !!

Boxing Day is only listed as Ontario because it's not a stat in all provinces.

Posted by Kelly:

There should be a STAT for every month of each year! March and June are always missed. Move Mothers day in May to March and then Fathers day that is in June, could become STATS! After all, if it wasn't for moms & dads, where would we be today? AND.... All employers should give their employees the day off for STATs, NOT another day in lieu of. My husband always has to work the stat holidays and my employer honors them, so Family Day, Remembrance day etc. we can never celebrate together. Something definitely wrong with this picture!

Responding to the previous comments: For the national holidays that follow on a weekend, you are given the Friday (if holiday is on Saturday) or the Monday (if holiday is on Sunday) off. Boxing Day is NOT a stat holiday for all of Canada. The company I work for in AB does not give Dec 26 off (and I'm not in sales). And I do agree that Remembrance Day should be a stat holiday for all provinces. We need to honor our veterans!

2 national stat holidays fall on a weekend and Remembrance Day falls on a weekend too. That is 3 stat holidays in my province which fall on a weekend. That is the total year less -3 holidays which is a lot for the year! Hope the stress levels don't skyrocket in 2017 and take a toll on the healthcare system...

I just realized xmas will be on sunday :(

Boxing Day is a national hliday, not just for Ontario.

Posted by Beverly:

Please Give Respect to our Veterans...Remembrance Day should be Stat Holiday...families should be together remembering why we have a Free Beautiful Country...Get Rid of Family Day! It's a Disgrace to our Veterans!!

Its a disgrace that Remembrance Day November 11th is not a Stat Holiday Observed by EVERY Province and Territory in Canada !!!! If these men and women hadn't given the ultimate sacrifice where would we all be today !!!! It is bad enough that we treat our Veterans with Zero respect yet we take advantage of their sacrifices !!!! Shame on all you true so called Canadians for not stepping up and Forcing our Government to pay Homage to these great Canadians for what they gave to us and our Nation !

Stats which fall on a weekend should be carried forward to the following Monday. What's the point of calling it Statutory if it falls on a day when most people are already off.

Rememberence Day for November 11 should be a stat holiday for everyone.

Posted by Larry:

I actually served in the Armed Forces but because my employer doesn't allow time off for Remembrance Day (I live in Ontario) I have to sit at my desk all day. Others I know who did NOT serve but whose employers allow for time off in Ontario take the day off. This seems vastly unfair to me. I believe that either Remembrance Day should be a statutory holiday coast-to-coast or not at all.

Posted by Larry:

When Canada Day falls on a weekend, I believe that the Friday previous should be considered a day off so that Canadians can take a long weekend and enjoy the country in our brief summers. Life is short -- why not try to enjoy it a tiny bit? For the Tories reading this, I'm sure that Tourism would benefit financially.

Posted by Anonymous:

Any Stat Holiday by province that is on the weekend will have the following Monday off in lieu. If your province does not consider Remembrance Day as a Stat Day then no alternate day will be provided by law, but some employers who give this day off regularly to employees will most likely follow the Stat rule.

Why isn't January 2nd considered a stat holiday, since New Years Day is on a Sunday? Aren't we supposed to get January 2nd off? This is ridiculous.

Posted by Ron:

Where is APRIL FOOLS DAY? the most fun

Posted by Dan:

Remembrance Day is on weekend in 2017 and it's been on a weekday for at least the last nine years, so I'm unclear. In 2017 in BC, is Monday Nov 13 considered a stat in lieu? We're not exactly "celebrating" Remembrance Day, and because it's marked at very specific date and time on the Saturday, I'm wondering if it's inappropriate to have a day off on the Monday. Any input?

Posted by Cheryl:

When is Remembrance Day going to be a National holiday? It is about time is it not?

Posted by Jon C:

Canada Day in 2017 will be a long weekend leading up to July 3, as July 1st will be a Saturday. One could expect Friday, June 30th at work either to be a quiet day or a day filled with rushes to get last jobs done before the long weekend and the end of the month!

Posted by J Schmidt:

I think 2017 will be a really good year of celebrations for many Canadians - since it is the 150th Anniversary of Confederation: 1867 to 2017 . I clearly remember 1967, the Centennial of Confederation, and the celebrations. That was also year I got my first and only job, which led to moving to a smaller community, becoming part of the community, marrying, raising a family and retiring here.

Back to the list of 2017 holidays